[vortex] 3c900B-TPO Etherlink XL Card - Many Problems...

Dave DellaCosta amarodeeps@mindspring.com
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 00:07:39 -0400

Bogdan,
Sorry it has taken me so long; I've
been away for about a week.  Thanks
for your reply.

To answer your questions:

> Did the card work with the original 2.2.14 kernel from Mandrake 7 ?

Don't know; installed it the same time I
got the new kernel, figured, new is better.
In retrospect it probably would have been good
to try one before the other...

> I assume that you mean: "it works fine, except for the network."

Yeah, the kernel works fine in every other
way; I just can't get this nic to work.  So
you know better the context: I am trying to
install a home network, and I'm in the preliminary
stages (obviously!).

> Do you have in /etc/conf.modules
> alias eth0 3c59x ?

> When you compiled the kernel, did you specify 3c59x as a module or
> in-kernel ?

No (to answer a few questions at once...); I
installed the driver as a integral part of
the kernel initially, and then I tried to
load the driver after I downloaded the new
one and compiled it.  Neither worked...maybe
I should try to re-compile the kernel without
the in-kernel driver, and load the module...?

> I'd like to see the part from 'dmesg' which is related to the driver.

3c59x.c:v0.99H 27May00 Donald Becker
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html

-That's it; nothing else about it.

In the meantime, I have tried to pass in
arguments to the ethernet card, using lilo
(ether=11,0,eth0).  Didn't work, nothing
even showed up at boot time.  Just the same
message as above, as always.

Any suggestions?  Do you want any more info?
Just say the word.

Much obliged,
Dave DellaCosta