[vortex] [Fwd: 3com card in a gateway machine...]

Fred Maciel fred-m@crl.hitachi.co.jp
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 14:59:18 +0900

Hello everybody,

> > Another Cardbus device has been spotted...

I saw it first! I saw it first!!! :-)

> >> My gateway laptop has a 3com device (don't know what type)

And the prize of most obscure 3Com device goes to their mini PCI combo
adapters! Not even the manufacturers give you a model number. Weird.

> >> however, I can't get it detected with linux. I've tried all the modules
> >> which exist but to no avail. It is built onto the motherboard and is
> >> 100/10MB. My laptop is a gateway 2150. The device is also in the
> >> gateway 9300. Attached is a dump of lspci -vvvv
>
> It's a 3c556 Laptop Tornado.  The entry is in the driver at
>    anonymous@scyld.com:/pub/network/test/3c59x.c

Now getting serious. Donald, I guess that we have a problem here.

This is the 3Com 3c556 (*) mini PCI combo adapter, found also in the HP
OmniBook
6000 and Panasonic CF-L1S. I sent a patch for it already to the mailing
list, please see:
http://www.scyld.com/pipermail/vortex/2000-July/000495.html

(And for those who don't know yet, I hastly assembled a web page on the
support for the 3c556. Please keep an eye on it for updates.
http://www2.neweb.ne.jp/wd/fbm/3c556/ )

(*) I'm using "556" as model number because this is the ID number used in
the Windows device driver .inf file.

> {"3c556 Laptop Hurricane",{ 0x605510B7, 0xffffffff },
> PCI_IOTYPE, CYCLONE_SIZE, IS_TORNADO|HAS_NWAY, },

Mine does not work with these settings (see my e-mail above for details).
Did the driver work like this for somebody?

BTW, changing the subject: another mini PCI device has been spotted:

> > 00:03.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation: Unknown device 6056 (rev
> > 20)
> > 00:03.1 Communication controller: 3Com Corporation: Unknown device 1007

This one seems to be completely different, because it failed miserably with
my patch. It does not seem to be a Cardbus "hybrid".

Regards,

Fred.