[vortex] 3c900B-TPO Etherlink XL Card - Many Problems...

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 18:23:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Dave DellaCosta wrote:

> Working with Mandrake 7, but

Did the card work with the original 2.2.14 kernel from Mandrake 7 ?

> I just downloaded the 2.2.16 kernel,
> compiled, and installed it, works fine.

I assume that you mean: "it works fine, except for the network."

> I configured it with the 3c59x support,
> but it appears that my NIC is just not
> being seen when I boot.  I thought it

Do you have in /etc/conf.modules
alias eth0 3c59x ?

> might be that Linux doesn't know what
> IRQ, I/O address, but I don't know how
> to figure that out?  Looked in /proc/pci,
> but I'm afraid I don't know what to do

You can post it here.

> with that info...I'm lost.  I do dmesg,
> and the driver is there, but...what now!?

I'd like to see the part from 'dmesg' which is related to the driver. You
can find the same (or even more) output in /var/log/messages.

> And my final question I guess would be:
> Was I on the right track with compiling support
> into the kernel and did I do something wrong
> there, or should I keep trying to get the
> module to work, and did I do something wrong
> there?

When you compiled the kernel, did you specify 3c59x as a module or
in-kernel ? If you have it in-kernel, you cannot 'insmod' another 3c59x
driver (like the 99Q version from Donald).

Regards,