[vortex] 3C905TX doesn't see 10Mbps hub till unplugged/replugged

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 21:03:31 +0200 (CEST)

Sorry for the late reply, I was completely overhelmed by other tasks
related to our cluster here...

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Donald Becker wrote:

> This might break the very next chip revision.  If we keep to standard MII
> behavior, rather than rely on additional features, we have a better chance
> of continuing to work.

That's why I was proposing to use exactly the information also returned by
mii-diag (the original messages showed the difference between mii-diag
output before and after link establishment).
>From what I read from the mii-diag source and the outputs, there are 2
ways we can detect this failure:

- register 1 (bmsr and new_bmsr). The condition
	(bmsr & 0x0016) == 0x0004 is true when the link is established,
false otherwise.

- register 5 (lkpar) which shows what are the capabilities of the remote
end. When this is 0, something is wrong!

AFAIK, these are standard MII registers, so they should be available on
all cards.

Sincerely,