forcing 3com 10/100 cards to 10Mbps

Jason Zwolak jzwolak@vt.edu
Mon Feb 14 07:08:48 2000

mii-diag did not work either.  Here is what mii-diag said:

root@powertower:/home/jzwolak/download# ./mii-diag -F
10BaseT
Using the default interface 'eth0'.
Setting the speed to "fixed", Control register 2000.
Basic registers of MII PHY #0:  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
ffff ffff ffff.
  No MII transceiver present!.

My 3com card is set up as eth0.  I have a line in my
/etc/modules.conf file that reads: alias eth0 3c59x

However, I noticed in some documentation for mii-diag that
new cards are supposed to have the mii transceiver.  My card
is at least 3 years old and possibly 4 (I got it used).  I'm
not sure if my card would be considered new or not.

I do have a very recent version of the Linux kernel: 2.2.11
So the drivers should have all the necessary stuff.
I tried mii-diag with and without the 3c59x module loaded.

I was able to force this card to 10BaseT under windows, so
I'm confident the card works.

--
May the Source be with you,
Jason Zwolak