[vortex] 3cSOHO100-Tx Speed Problem

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 15:23:32 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Mark Lubratt wrote:

> I'll try these when I get home tonight.

OK, I'm curious about the results.

> One thing I forgot to mention is that I have the same card in my WinME
> machine connected to the same hub.  And the status lights indicate 100Mbs.

OK.

> So, that card seems to do the negotiation and high speed stuff just fine.

I doubt about autonegotiation, as the MII data that is necessary is not
present, so no driver can read it!
If the suggestions using mii-diag do not give any good results, read
below.

> This makes me think it's a driver issue instead of a hardware issue.

Yes, maybe the Windows driver is falling back to a fixed speed mode. If I
understand it right, the Linux driver does not change from autonegotiation
(NWAY) to anything else. In this case, forcing media type as module
options is the only way to set it. You can use "options=4" for setting
100baseTx (more at http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html)

Hope this helps!