[vortex] Q: which nic to use on Alpha 266 EV4?

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:07:21 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:

> I'm currently using a 8139 based nic in it, and that one regularly
> needs:
>
> ifconfig eth0 down
> ifconfig eth0 up
> route add default gw ....
>
> It seems to hang whenever incoming and outgoing traffic are close
> together (its working in HD mode)

I have good experience with some 8139 based NICs. Are you using the latest
drivers ? Do you have good cables ?

> Its connected to a autosense 10/100 hub (incapable of FD), which in its
> turn is connected to a 10/100 switch (which IS capable of FD). The
> servers are connected to the switch.
> Any advise from the list on the nic to use in this configuration? I do
> want to run it on 100.

If you want it to run in 100-FD, you have to connect the NIC (whichever it
would be) directly to your switch. If you can stand 100-HD, you can
connect it to the hub. Most of the modern cards should be able to handle
both situations.
If you specifically want a 3Com card, I think that all presently available
100Mbit cards should work.

Sincerely,