Another 2.2 version of 3c59x.c

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De
Wed Apr 26 09:32:09 2000

Hi,

I tested the new version with some puzzling rezults: after I got it, I was
"able" to crash one node with my testing procedure, I rebooted and it
happened again, I rebooted again and now it's running for more than 24h
under different loads: parallel jobs, flooding pings, ttcp transfers
(separate or simultaneous)...

There is something else that I wanted to bring to your attention,
something related to identification of card properties. In the 90xB docs,
page 31, there is a description of FIFO memory: 8k split for 90x and
separated 2k for Tx and Rx for 90xB (and also for 90xC). The current
driver is reporting even for B and C revisions 8K RAM split 5:3 (YMMV)
which is invalid. Cf. docs, the bits are correctly interpreted for 90x,
while the same bits are _not_ defined for 90xB and 90xC. (page 57-63 for B
and 59-61 for C).
>From what I can see, all the cards that are based on the 90xB (page 17)
and C (905C and 980C cf. docs, but 980 seems not to have any B variant)
design are declared as IS_CYCLONE. However, there are other cards
(especially some CardBus ones) that are also defined IS_CYCLONE. Are they
based on the 90xB design also? If yes, we can check in vortex_probe1,
whenever we try to interpret the variable 'union wn3_config config', if
the card is defined IS_CYCLONE and not interpret the offending bits,
but report 2k buffers instead. If no... maybe we need another define like
HAS_FIXED_FIFO.

Sincerely,