forcing 3com 10/100 cards to 10Mbps

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sun Sep 19 09:54:01 1999

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Jason Zwolak wrote:

> mii-diag did not work either.  Here is what mii-diag said:
>
> root@powertower:/home/jzwolak/download# ./mii-diag -F
> Basic registers of MII PHY #0:  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
> ffff ffff ffff.
>   No MII transceiver present!.
>
> My 3com card is set up as eth0.  I have a line in my
> /etc/modules.conf file that reads: alias eth0 3c59x
>
> However, I noticed in some documentation for mii-diag that
> new cards are supposed to have the mii transceiver.  My card
> is at least 3 years old and possibly 4 (I got it used).  I'm
> not sure if my card would be considered new or not.

Are you certain that you have 3c905, and not a older 3c595?
The 3c595 did not have a MII transceiver.
What is the detection message?  It should tell you if it finds a
transceiver.

> I tried mii-diag with and without the 3c59x module loaded.

It will not work without a driver loaded.

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html