autonegotiation trouble

uwe uwe@hahn.RoBIN.de
Mon Mar 8 04:49:37 1999

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999 jlewis@lewis.org wrote:

> I saw a message in the list archives about using the DOS config program to
> tell the card to use 100mb FD...is / should that be that necessary?

I am loading the driver as a module. Thus I can test the driver by
telling the module with which speed it should be configuring itself.
Saves time :)

Take a look at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/vortex.txt.

This way, the autonegotiation can be overridden without changing your
boot parameters and rebooting. Actually, the autonegotiation is
mysterious to me. I have to force 100MB/Full Duplex, I don't have a
switch, just a hub.  What happens if the machine is powered up
standalone, how does the driver set the card?

Also, since kernel 2.0.36, I cannot use the kerneld feature to load
the 3c59x, won't work. I have to load the module first by hand and
then start the network. Why is that?!

Take care,

	Uwe