3c905B card do want to play with me at 100Mb

Aaron Mahler amahler@sbc.edu
Tue Aug 18 01:19:22 1998

Hello!

 Be sure to double check this approach. I just discovered tonight that
one of my 3C905B Linux servers was coming up at 10 MBit instead of 100.
I messed around with things for a while and finally ended up setting the
switch to 100 full duplex and turning off auto-negotiate to "force the
issue" as well. I then found that a thirty meg file transferred from
another server on the same switch to my workstation (3C509 to 3C509)
took about 2.8 seconds. The same file on the same switch to the other
server to which I am referring (3C509 to 3C509B) took nearly 30 seconds.

 In other words, the switch claims 100 Mbit... but something just isn't
happening as advertised...

 I started reading the mailing list archive tonight from home to
research how to tackle the problem when I get back to work tomorrow. I
think I might just put a spare regular 3C905 in place of the Cyclone
card.

 On that note... can somebody tell me what the difference is between the
"old" 905 and the new Cyclone (B) cards? I didn't even realize the
Cyclones existed until receiving two new machines over the last few days
with them pre-installed and running into the above problems.

Thanks!
 - Aaron Mahler
Sweet Briar College