[tulip] Tulip and PowerPC endian issue?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu Jan 30 16:47:01 2003

On 30 Jan 2003, Jim Rowe wrote:

> I'm not having any luck. I have my network setup properly and I'm not
> able to communicate with any devices on the same subnet. The transmit
> and receive statistics given by ifconfig show that nothing is going in
> or out of the interface.

Do not use the output of 'ifconfig' to diagnose problems.  The
'ifconfig' program tries to be compatible with old BSD, which had only
rudimentary error counts.  You should use the numbers in /proc/net/dev
instead.

If there is a problem, the driver will emit a message.  You should check
your kernel message logs.

> What type of things should I look for to check for broken address space
> configuration?

There are far too many possible problems to list.

> I'm not required to use a tulip-based card for my project. I'm
> considering using a 3c59x-based CardBus PC Card to see if I have any
> better luck. Any suggesstions?

That will narrow the problem space down.