[tulip] Errors compiling tulip driver - help needed

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue Jan 14 15:56:00 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 jim.smith.nl@sympatico.ca wrote:

> this is my first post to the list. I'm a newby when it comes
> to compiling anything other than the Linux kernel. Please bare
> when me. I have a Linksys 10/100 Mbps Network card in my computer.
> I am running Slackware Linux with kernel 2.4.18. I have downloaded
> files Makefile, kern_compat.h, pci-scan.c, pci-scan.h and tulip.c
> from ftp.scyld.com into a work directory. I then submitted the
> compile command like so :
>
> root@john:~/drivers/nic/linksys/work#
> gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet -Wall -Wstrict-prototype
> s -O6 -c tulip.c `[ -f /usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] &&
> echo -DMODVERSIONS`
>
> I immediately get the following errors :
>
> [truncated output]
> /usr/include/asm/pci.h: At top level:
> /usr/include/asm/pci.h:101: parse error before `size_t'

The errors before this are the important ones.

Try compiling using the Makefile.  It should tell you if anything
(e.g. header files) is missing.

mkdir /tmp/netdrivers/
cd /tmp/netdrivers/
ncftpget ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/netdrivers.tgz
tar xfvz netdrivers.tgz
make
make install