[tulip] tulip, linksys ethernet card and redhat 7.3

Joel Smith JoelS@cbo.gov
Mon Sep 30 09:23:00 2002

i have managed to install the tulip module (or at least in the
/var/log/messages file it says that it is using Becker's tulip module
instead of redhat's faulty version) but still during the boot it still
cannot determine the IP address, times out and will not use the
linksys ethernet card.

could anyone please tell me how to set up any ethernet card
(recommendation please) so that i can connect to my dsl?  has anyone
connected to DSL using redhat 7.3, tulip, and the linksys etherfast
10/100 card?  please, please help.  would it be easier to recompile
the kernel with the new driver?  if so where do i put the new tulip.c
code (redhat split up the driver into a number of files in the
directories tulip and tulip_old in the kernel source)...

for summary i have done the following.

1.  downloaded tulip.c, pci-scan.c, compiled them and installed tulip.o
2.  i installed tulip.o in

install -m 644 tulip.o /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/
install -m 644 tulip.o /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/net/

3.  removed the old module from the kernel with rmmod tulip
4.  /sbin/modprobe tulip
5.  added alias eth0 tulip to the modules.conf