[tulip] Re-Compiling the kernel.

Trevor Fraser trevor@systematic.co.za
Fri Sep 13 04:28:01 2002

Hello all.

I'm in the process of re-compiling the kernel, but I get to a point where
there's an error.  These are the steps up to the error:
# cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-3
# make config (CONFIG_PCMCIA = no  to achieve a kernel without PCMCIA
support)
# make dep
# make clean
# make bzImage
# make modules
# make modules_install  ( this is where the error appears)
ln: when making multiple links, last argument must be a directory
make: *** [_modinst_] Error 1
#

I read the man pages and it suggests that the directory it should
"make_install" is /lib/modules/2.4.*/
My new kernel will be called 2.4.18-3no-pcmcia-cs so I tried:
# make modules_install /lib/modules/2.4.18-3no-pcmcia-cs/
but the same error occurs.  Please can you advise me where I'm going wrong.

Thanks, Trevor.