[tulip] tulip for presario 1700 with connexant chip breaks under load

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri Mar 15 17:38:22 2002

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Jochen Schieck wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Donald Becker wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Jochen Schieck wrote:
> >
> > > I tried to get the NIC in my Presario 1700xl365 notebook to work. I took
> > > your tulip (v0.93 11/7/2001) drivers and compiled them using makefile against
> > > 2.4.12-ac3. I am using the mandrake 8.0 distribution (with updated kernel).
> > >
> > > It seems to work fine at the beginning:
> > > However, when starting a large download (like getting a new kernel tar
> > > file) the driver quickly hangs:
> mii-diag reports (the same working and not working network):
>
> $ ./mii-diag
> Using the default interface 'eth0'.
> Basic registers of MII PHY #1:  1000 782d 0022 1720 01e1 0080 0004 2001.
>  Your link partner is generating 100baseTx link beat  (no autonegotiation).
>
> Our network here supports Full-Duplex. However, I do not know about the
> NIC chip in my notebook. Do you know more?

Ah ha!  That might be the problem: is the switch you are connected to
set to forced full duplex?  If so, you will have force the driver to
full duplex mode.

If that fixes the symptoms, we might have a problem with handling
out-of-window collisions.  They should be handled automatically by the
hardware, but the driver might need to do something special to handle
this type of network error.