[tulip] Tulip Problem with 2 Linksys TX100 NIC's

hanasaki hanasaki@hanaden.com
Fri Mar 8 13:49:02 2002

I am serving DHCP on the internal nic only.

The tulip version is the one that comes with Kernel 2.4.17
Linux portal 2.4.17 #1 Tue Jan 15 01:33:10 CST 2002 i586 unknown
 From tulip_core.c
-------------------
#define DRV_NAME        "tulip"
#define DRV_VERSION     "0.9.15-pre9"
#define DRV_RELDATE     "Nov 6, 2001"

How do i get the detection msg to send to you?

The tulip driver is able to get a ip from the Cable Modem service
(RoadRunner) if
	- ifdown externalNIC AND internalNIC
	- rmmod tulip
	- ifup externalNIC

Failure:
-----------
ifdown externalnic
ifup externalnic

Failure:
-----------
ifdown externalnic
ifdown internalnic
ifup externalnic

Success:
-----------
ifdown externalnic
ifdown internalnic
rmmod tulip
ifup externalnic

Donald Becker wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, hanasaki wrote:
>

>>I am running two Linksys TX100 NIC's in a Firewall.  The internal NIC is
>>on my DHCP and comes up / down just fine.
>

> Does that mean that you are serving DHCP from this interface?
>

>>The external is on a Cable
>>Modem and gets a DHCP IP from their servers.  If I ifdown the the
>>external NIC and then ifup it, it errors "Operation Failed".
>

> That likely means that the DHCP request to the cable company failed.
> There are many possible reasons for this to happen -- not all are device
> driver problems.
>

>>If I bring
>>down both interfaces and then rmmod tulip and bring up the external
>>interface first, all is good.  Bringin up to the internal interface
>>first causes the operation failed error again.
>>
>>I am using the Tulip Drivers provided with Debian Woody.  The same
>>problem existed with Debian Potato.
>

> What driver version?  What is the detection message?
>

> Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
> Scyld Computing Corporation		http://www.scyld.com
> 410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Second Generation Beowulf Clusters
> Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993

= hanasaki@hanaden.com                                          =
=     Spam : Unhealthy and High in Sodium and Cholesterol       =