[tulip] Only 1 port on a 21143 Quad.

gemorga2 gemorga2@vt.edu
Thu Jun 13 07:17:01 2002

Hmm, this product is interesting.  I was almost tasked at work to make exactly
that product.  This was over 4 yrs ago.  Guess someone finally decided to make
one.  You take a 5 port 10/100 switch chip, 4 magnetics chips and PHYs and put
4 ports on the card.  These ports connect directly to the switch.  The 5th
port is direct wired to an Ethernet MAC chip (Tulip in this case) which is
connected to the PCI bus.  So, you build a small firewall and use the switch
ports to connect your internal machines.  The uplink is the PCI interface and
you put a second NIC in the machine for the "Internet" connection.  Or you
could use any other suitable WAN/Dial up option.  This is probably the best
use of the card.

The key word in the product name is "Switch".  A 4 port NIC would not have
anything about switch in the name.  Do you have access to a scanner or digital
camera with macro lense?  I'd like to get a look at this board.

Oh, and yes a "proper" 4 port card needs a MAC (21143 is a single port PCI to
10/100 Ethernet Media Access Controller (MAC)) for each ethernet port.  Alas,
we just recently discussed that a there is silicon available that has 4
ethernet MAC chips combined into a single chip.  I doubt this was ever done
for the Tulip design though.

A driver may get confused and think that there is more than one Ethernet
interface on this card since there may be a second PCI "device" on the board
for custom configuration of the switch ports (assuming there is some amount of
management on the card for the switch).  This was also planned for the device
I almost designed.  Nowadays a much cooler option would be to have a 4 port
10/100 + 2 port 10/100/1000 ethernet switch on a PCI card.  Then you put a gig
ethernet PCI interface on there and drop it in your server.  The card would
have 5 ports on it, one being 10/100/1000 and the other 4 being 10/100.  You
would connect your slower LAN segments to the 10/100 ports and have one high
bandwidth port for some other purpose.  Might be a really big card to fit all
that on it.  And I'm sure it would be expensive.  Enough rambling though...