[tulip] Only 1 port on a 21143 Quad.

VIZADINI@lanier-europe.com VIZADINI@lanier-europe.com
Thu Jun 13 03:21:01 2002

Hi,

> Do you have only one 21143 chip?

i re-checked, and i confirm that there is only one 21143 chip.

> I think that you actually have a single port card, with a built-in
> hub (repeater or switch).

crumbs..

the product name reads: 4-Port 10/100 NIC Switch.

would a "proper" 4-port card need to have 4 21143 chips?

> This appears to be a Ethernet switch chip. The only reference I found
> was at http://www.mplusd.com/.

hmm..

is there then no way to get this card to work with anything more than
1 port reliably (under linux)?

one thing i ran into during my earlier testing was that (with one of
the kernels i had running), if either one of de4x5 or tulip were
compiled-in
the kernel, and -the other- driver de4x5.o or tulip.o was loaded as
a module, then it found 2 ports on the card (ie., i could assign ip
addresses to eth0 and eth1).

i'm not sure if this is expected behaviour, but i don't think i should run

it in a production environment.

assuming this card is a 4-port switch, not compatible with the tulip
drivers, are there any suggestions you (plural :) can provide on how
to get it to work, or what to do with it?

:-)

thanks for all your help so far,

all the best,

Vafa.