[tulip] IRQ weirdness between kernels

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed Jun 5 21:04:01 2002

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Jason Marshall wrote:

> Anyway, I've got a 4-port Adaptec 10/100 tulip card in a machine with a
> fairly new motherboard.  I'm running a "stock" debian 2.2.19pre17 kernel,
> right out of the box with no additional frills.  The tulip driver is
> v0.91g-ppc (don't ask about the ppc part -- beats me!).

Historical oddity: It was a specific release of the v0.91g driver with
explicit endian conversion so that tulip clone chips that didn't
implement byte swapping would work on the PowerPC.  It was the last
tulip driver before changes that I didn't approve were added to the driver.

> All the cards show up on IRQ 12, which is great.  /proc/interrupts
> indicates the same thing, and all the ports work, and everything is
> peachy.

That didn't just happen -- the driver has explicit support for working
around common BIOS bugs with PCI bus bridges.

> I built a 2.4.18 "Linus" kernel, which sports version 0.9.15-pre9 of
> Donald's tulip driver, and the four ports no longer show up on IRQ 12.
> One of them does, but the others are on 10, 11, and 4.  I don't want that!

That driver doesn't have the explicit work-around for quad cards.
Try the driver at
 http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
    ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/tulip.c