[tulip] Re: Using tulip.c with 2.4.18 for a 21143 card

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed Jul 31 19:05:01 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Steinar Bang wrote:

> Newsgroups: gmane.linux.drivers.tulip.devel

Note that this won't be posted to the newsgroup.

>  - the 2.4.18 kernel has a different modules structure than what the
>    updates document in the above URL describes, so I did the
>    following:
> 	cd /lib/modules/2.4.18-686/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/
> 	mv tulip.o tulip.o.deborig
> 	mv /usr/src/modules/tulip.o .
>    The 2.4.18 kernel modules directory didn't have a pci-scan.o, so I
>    didn't copy it

You need pci-scan.o for all kernel versions.  It provides consistent
PCI scanning, hot-swap and power management support across all kernels.

The 2.4 kernels split the tulip driver into multiple files, making the
update more complicated than direct substitution of the driver files.
The best way to use the updated drivers depends on using driver
modules.  Just use the install rule in the Makefile.

mkdir /tmp/netdrivers/
cd /tmp/netdrivers/
ncftp ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/netdrivers.tgz
tar xfvz netdrivers.tgz
make
make install

This puts the updated drivers into the current /lib/modules* directory.

> Do I need the pci-scan.o file for a 2.4.18 kernel?  Where should it
> go?

Yup.  It can go anywhere that depmod can find it -- usually in the same
directory as the driver modules.