[tulip] Problem with smc 1255 card -- netdev watchdog timed out

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed Jul 17 07:48:01 2002

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 erik.ostlyngen@telelogic.com wrote:

> I have problems getting my smc 1255 card to work on my intel linux box. The
> tulip driver recognizes my card as Accton EN1217/EN2242, and everything
> seems to be ok until it receives an nfs mount request. The nfs mounting
> works, but shortly afterwards, the network becomes extremely slow. I want to
> debug the problem, but I don't know how to. I'm currently using kernel
> 2.4.18,

Please include the driver version number, along with the rest of the
driver detection message.

Unless you downloaded and compiled it yourself, the "2.4.18" kernel you
are running has likely been modified by the distribution vendor.  That
might include a driver version change.

> and the included tulip driver, but I've also tried some older
> versions.

Try a newer version
  mkdir /tmp/netdrivers/
  cd /tmp/netdrivers/
  ncftp ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/netdrivers.tgz
  tar xfvz netdrivers.tgz
  make
  make install

> Jul 16 17:32:26 didi kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
> Jul 16 17:32:26 didi kernel: eth0: Transmit timed out, status fc664010,
> CSR12 00000000, resetting...

Transmitter is idle, Rx is waiting for packets.  There is no obvious
problem.

> Jul 16 17:32:26 didi kernel: eth0: The transmitter stopped.  CSR5 is
> fc67c016, CSR6 ff976113, new CSR6 44000.

Errrkkk??  Setting CSR6 to 44000?
You should really try the driver from scyld.com

> >tulip-diag -f -ee
> tulip-diag.c:v2.11 6/17/2002 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
> Index #1: Found a Accton EN1217/EN2242 (ADMtek Comet) adapter at 0xe000.
>   The transmit threshold is 1024.
> EEPROM 64 words, 6 address bits.
>   PCI IDs Vendor 1113 Device 1216  Subsystem 10b8 1255
>   PCI min_grant 255 max_latency 255.

Likely unrelated:
That's a curious setting for the PCI parameters.  That might be what
caused the Tx threshold to increase.