[tulip] Issues getting driver to work in Red Hat

James D Parker Jr jdparker.antispam@home.com
Fri Jan 18 23:02:00 2002

I found a web page that descibes how to get a Linksys network card to work in
Red Hat. This was for an older version of the card/driver that did not require
pci-scan. The instructions were something like:
1. compile tulip
2. put tulip.o in the proper modules directory
3. run "modprobe tulip" and "depmond -a" in some order ( I foget which)
4. add "alias eth0 tulip" to /etc/modules.conf
5. run netcfg to configure

This did work even for a Linksys card that is supposed to require the latest
drivers. That is the way my system is currently set up.

The instructions on the scyld web page for installing the newer drivers
individually go something  like this:
1. compile tulip.c and pci-scan.c
2. run insmod for the the two modules
3. run install for the two modules

There is no mention of adding anything to /etc/modules.conf or running netcfg.
Does this mean that these are not necessay?

What is the difference between modprobe/depmod and insmod/install? (I have done
man on each but unfortunately I only have a masters degree in computer science
so I can't understand them.)

BTW: the warning about not being able to compile the drivers with gcc under Red
Hat 7.0 may not apply if you have applied the correct Red Hat supplied fixes.
I have downloaded tulip.c, pci-scan.c/h and kern_compat.h and got only the
following warning messages compiling tulip.c and pci-scan.c.

tulip:
/tmp/ccYHGnea.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccYHGnea.s:145: Warning: Ignoring changed section attributes for .modinfo

pci-scan:
/tmp/cc9gkOLV.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/cc9gkOLV.s:25: Warning: Ignoring changed section attributes for .modinfo

What is the significance of these warnings?

Thanks
Jim