[tulip] AT-2800TX, I give up

Gert Doering gert@greenie.muc.de
Wed Feb 20 18:34:01 2002

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 02:05:29PM -0500, Donald Becker wrote:
> > ok, here we go... (ifconfig eth0 down first, otherwise it won't do
> > anything)
>
> Use '-f' or '--force' to do register operations even when the chip is
> operating.

Ok.  Re-tried while a "ping" was trying to get packets out, no change.

[..]
> > -> didn't help, no LEDs, no packets, same kernel message(s):
>
> OK, lets just concentrate on getting the LED to light.  That should
> indicate that the transceiver is getting power.

The LEDs are "ACT"ivity and "LiNK".  I agree that at least ACT should
flicker eventually, and ideally LNK should light if the kernel is cycling
through the 10BaseT variants.

*dimming light*, getting to work :-)

> This requires some detailed work.
>    [[ Professional driver <writer> on a closed course.  Please don't try
>    this at home. ]]
[..]
> Watch the LED while doing the following.
>
> Use this to set all GPIO pins to be outputs
>    tulip-diag -G 0x080f0000
>
> Use this to try setting each output pin to '1' in order
>    tulip-diag -G 0x00010000
>    tulip-diag -G 0x00020000
>    tulip-diag -G 0x00040000
>    tulip-diag -G 0x00080000

I tried this, and no result on the LEDs.  Interesting effect on the
current CPIO values, though.

Writing 0x00010000 results in this:

Setting the GPIO register 00010000.
The GPIO register is now 8ff10000.

or this:

Setting the GPIO register 00010000.
The GPIO register is now 8ff00000.

- more or less random.  Maybe an input line?

Setting 0x00020000 will lead to this, most of the time:

Setting the GPIO register 00020000.
The GPIO register is now 8ff20000.

or this (here and then):

Setting the GPIO register 00020000.
The GPIO register is now 8ffa0000.

(I did also see an 8ff80000 when writing 010000 once - maybe bit 3 is
also an input line?)

Writing 0x00040000 always leads to this:

Setting the GPIO register 00040000.
The GPIO register is now 8ff00000.

Writing 0x00080000 leads (in all cases I've seen) to:

Setting the GPIO register 00080000.
The GPIO register is now 8ff80000.

Writing 0x000f0000 leads mostly to:

Setting the GPIO register 000f0000.
The GPIO register is now 8ffb0000.

and sometimes to:

Setting the GPIO register 000f0000.
The GPIO register is now 8ffa0000.

So to me this looks as if only setting bit 1 and bit 3 have any
permanent effect.  But alas, the LEDs are still on strike.

> Use this to set all GPIO pins to be inputs, and see their values.
>    tulip-diag -G 0x08000000

it's (all of the time):

Setting the GPIO register 08000000.
The GPIO register is now 8ff10000.

Removing dongle or cable doesn't change anything.

"Port selection" toggles between "10mbps-serial, half-duplex" and
"100mbps-SYM/PCS 100baseTx scrambler, half-duplex" doing this.  No
packet activity, dunno what it's doing here - the full output is this:

$ SU /tmp/tu -G 0x08000000
tulip-diag.c:v2.09c 2/20/2002 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a Digital DS21143 Tulip adapter at 0x200.
 Port selection is 100mbps-SYM/PCS 100baseTx scrambler, half-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, half-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit threshold is 128.
  The NWay status register is 000000c6.
Setting the GPIO register 08000000.
The GPIO register is now 8ff10000.
 Use '-a' or '-aa' to show device registers,
     '-e' to show EEPROM contents, -ee for parsed contents,
  or '-m' or '-mm' to show MII management registers.

gert
--
Gert Doering
Mobile communications ... right now writing from *back @home*