[tulip] problem with modprobe -t net tulip

Richard NAGY richard@presenceweb.com
Fri Aug 23 10:34:02 2002

Hello,

I have a quad interface ethernet card (DLink DFE 570TX) in my linux box. This card gives me some problems.

Here is the command line I have typed :

# modprobe -t net tulip

and here is the output :

/lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/tulip.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/tulip.o failed
modprobe: insmod tulip failed

I do not know where the error comes from and how to solve it. Should I play with IRQ or IO ports ? If yes then
how ?

Then I tried the tulip-diag program but it has not given much help for me. It tells me that there is no device
in /proc/pci.
As I have read on the tulip mailing list, I have successfully loaded the pci-scan module in the kernel but it
didn't help my problem.

I have run again tulip-diag with parameters like -t (mine is 4). The program want a 'p' parameter. But, I do
not know what to give! So, I have given arbitrary address like 0x300. Then, the program told me that it
recognizes such a card! Wow! But whatever I tell to the program concerning the 'p' parameter, It behaves the
same way. Here is what it says :

[root@xg root]# ./tulip-diag -t 4 -p 0x220
tulip-diag.c:v2.13 8/6/2002 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
  http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Assuming a Digital DS21143 Tulip adapter at 0x220.
  * A recognized chip has been found, but it does not appear to exist in
  * I/O space.  Use the '-f' flag to see the register values anyway.
  Use '-a' or '-aa' to show device registers,
      '-e' to show EEPROM contents, -ee for parsed contents,
   or '-m' or '-mm' to show MII management registers.

Well, I am lost! I do not know the IO port used by this card.

I would apreciate a little help. Thanks very much.

Note : In this linux box, I have an other integrated ethernet card (eepro100 ether card) which runs very well.
How be sure that network data given by such a tool like tulip-diag comes from the good card (tulip) and not
from eepro100 card ?

--
Richard NAGY
Presenceweb