[tulip] tulip with conexant chip also breaks under load with a presario 1211

Bernard Cafarelli bcafarel@messel.emse.fr
Fri Apr 12 11:34:01 2002

--uY)X3cXPIBz69=.t

Le Fri, 12 Apr 2002 08:27:46 -0400 (EDT)
Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com> a écrit:
> What was the message?  Please quote it verbatim -- the status numbers
> are important.
When it happens, tulip-diag says:
tulip-diag.c:v2.08 5/15/2001 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a Conexant LANfinity adapter at 0x1400.
 Port selection is MII, half-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, half-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Waiting for Tx to finish'.
  The transmit threshold is 128.
 Use '-a' or '-aa' to show device registers,
     '-e' to show EEPROM contents, -ee for parsed contents,
  or '-m' or '-mm' to show MII management registers.

and mii-diag:

Using the default interface 'eth0'.
Basic registers of MII PHY #1:  1100 782d 0022 1720 01e1 0020 0004 2001.
 Basic mode control register 0x1100: Auto-negotiation enabled.
 You have link beat, and everything is working OK.
 Your link partner is generating 10baseT link beat  (no autonegotiation).
   End of basic transceiver information.

And I can't see anything suspicious in the /var/log/* files...

> > Still I could do an entire vnc session this night without having to
> > restart everything (vnc really doesnt like being cut off).
>
> From your description the driver continued working after emitting the Tx
> error message, correct?

No, it worked for quite a long time this night, but today it resumed its old habit: working a few minutes (or seconds sometimes...) and then it doesnt receive anymore (and then it's /etc/init.d/network restart).
And sometimes, it isn't even under heavy load: a ssh session, checking the mail,...

--
							Bernard Cafarelli
							alias Voyageur

--uY)X3cXPIBz69=.t