[tulip] D-Link DFE-500TX and D-Link DFE-570TX doesn't behave correctly

Frank Mikkelsen Frank.Mikkelsen@qbranch.se
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 18:28:22 +0200

------_=_NextPart_001_01C15984.3C79C6CF

Problem description:
When starting (booting) the system all interfaces are detected and
configured correctly but network traffic doesn't flow through any of the
interfaces, not until I disconnect and reconnect the network cable.
This procedure have to be repeated on all interfaces to get network
traffic to flow through the interfaces.
If I restart any of the interfaces (ifdown/ifup) the above described
procedure have to be carried out on the restarted interface.
=20
System setup:
Mandrake 8.0 with kernel version 2.4.12 compiled separately.
tulip driver as a loadable module, compiled from the tulip development
sources version 1.1.8
One D-Link DFE-500TX single port network interface
One D-Link DFE-570TX quad port network interface
Dual PentiumIII 800MHz on Tyan Tiger 133 mainboard with 896Mb RAM
Two Promise FastTrak100 TX2 ATA-RAID interfaces
Matrox Millenium G450 graphic interface
=20
Since this system is going to be used to test networking performance
with switches, hubs and routers, is there any problems with
autonegotiation speed and duplex I should know about when using the
D-Link DFE-500TX and 570TX network interfaces?
=20
Another question (may not be related to the tulip driver):
If I configure all the network interfaces to participate on the same
subnet (IPs 192.168.0.245 to 192.168.0.249) and bring them all up, but
only one interface (192.168.0.246) is actually connected to the network,
the only connected interface answers ping to all the other IPs.
In the arp table on client system I used to ping with, all IPs
(192.168.0.245 to 192.168.0.249) are being associated with the ethernet
address (MAC) of the only connected network interface.
Is it supposed to work this way?
Is there a way to tell the kernel/driver not to work this way? That is,
telling the kernel that interfaces are only to answers requests to the
IP address that they are assigned.
I want to have all the intefaces on the same network (subnet), since
they are to be used to emulate various operating system's network
behaviour.
I guess that this can be accomplished with IP aliasing too but that will
restrict the bandwith to only one interface, I need all the interface to
work simultaneously on the same network (subnet).
=20
Best regards
=20
Frank Mikkelsen

------_=_NextPart_001_01C15984.3C79C6CF

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 =
Transitional//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" =
CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1"></HEAD><BODY><DIV>Problem =
<DIV>When starting (booting) the system all interfaces are detected and =0A=
configured correctly but network traffic doesn't flow through any of the =0A=
interfaces, not until I disconnect and reconnect the network cable.</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>This procedure have to be repeated on all&nbsp;interfaces to get =
network =0A=
traffic to flow through the interfaces.</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>If I restart any of the interfaces (ifdown/ifup) the above =
described =0A=
procedure have to be carried&nbsp;out on the restarted interface.</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>System setup:</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>Mandrake 8.0 with kernel version 2.4.12 compiled separately.</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>tulip driver as a loadable module, compiled from the tulip =
development =0A=
sources version 1.1.8</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>One D-Link DFE-500TX single port network interface</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>One D-Link DFE-570TX quad port network interface</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>Dual PentiumIII 800MHz on Tyan Tiger 133 mainboard with 896Mb =
RAM</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>Two Promise FastTrak100 TX2 ATA-RAID interfaces</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>Matrox Millenium G450 graphic interface</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>Since this system is going to be used to test networking =
performance with =0A=
switches, hubs and routers, is there any problems with autonegotiation =
speed and =0A=
duplex I should know about when using the D-Link DFE-500TX and 570TX =
network =0A=
interfaces?</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>Another question (may not be related to the tulip driver):</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>If I configure all the network interfaces to participate on the =
same subnet =0A=
(IPs 192.168.0.245 to 192.168.0.249)&nbsp;and bring them all up, but =
only one =0A=
interface (192.168.0.246) is actually connected to the network, the only =0A=
connected interface answers ping to all the other IPs.</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>In the arp table on client system I used to ping with, all IPs =0A=
(192.168.0.245 to 192.168.0.249) are being associated with the ethernet =
address =0A=
(MAC) of the only connected network interface.</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>Is it supposed to work this way?</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>Is there a way to tell the kernel/driver not to work this way? That =
is, =0A=
telling the kernel that interfaces are only to&nbsp;answers requests to =
the IP =0A=
address that they are assigned.</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>I want to have all the intefaces on the same network (subnet), =0A=
since&nbsp;they&nbsp;are to&nbsp;be used to emulate various operating =
system's =0A=
network behaviour.</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>I guess that this can be accomplished with IP aliasing too but that =
will =0A=
restrict the bandwith to only one interface, I need all the interface to =
work =0A=
simultaneously on the same network (subnet).</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>Best regards</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>=0A=
<DIV>Frank Mikkelsen</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C15984.3C79C6CF--