[tulip] How I set up LinkSYS Network card

Tom Joyce tgj@gemair.com
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 11:10:33 -0000

I wrote this in the hope of helping someone else set up their new network card
under Linux. This was written specifically for the LinkSYS Pci Network Everywhere
Fast Ethernet Adapter NIC100 v2 based on the Tulip chip.This card came with
LinkSYS Network Everywhere 5-port starter kit.

Some of the information in this e-mail was from:
http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html -Linux and the DEC "Tulip" Chip
http://www.scyld.com/expert/modules.html - Using Linux Drivers as Modules

This is how I got it to work; others may have different ways.

I am using a PakardBell Multimedia 720
Cyrix MII 266 CPU
32 megs ram
2 gig primary drive and a 1.6 slave drive.
Windows 98 is on the primary drive and Red Hat Linux 6.1
is on the Slave. LILO boots my choice at start up.

I also installed this the same way on a Compaq Prolinea 575 Pentium 75
16 megs ram Red Hat 6.1.

Tom Joyce
OCT 2001

You need 4 files that as of October 2001,
can be found at http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html

pci-scan.c
pci-scan.h
kern_compat.h
tulip.c

I got them via MS Explorer under Windows. I highlighted the files, clicked copy and
pasted each as a text file and then booted Linux and accessed the files from Linux.
(tulip.c is too big for notepad, use word and save as text)

Become Root
Put all four files in the same directory.
cp /wherever_they_are /root

You may need to rename them as they may have the name pci-scan.c.txt from
windows.

from the prompt type:
mv pci-scan.c.txt pci-scan.c

from the prompt type:
gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c
(That is the capital letter O and a 6 not zero)
If it works you will see nothing.

gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -
O6  -c pci-scan.c
If it works you will see nothing.

now type:

install -m 644 tulip.o /lib/modules/`uname -r`/net/

install -m 644 pci-scan.o /lib/modules/`uname -r`/net/

type:
cd /etc
To be safe backup the file:
cp /etc/conf.modules /etc/conf.modules.back_up

Edit the file:
pico /etc/conf.modules
It will probably say alias eth0 unknown or something like that.
Erase that and write:

alias eth0 tulip.o
options tulip.o full_duplex=1,0,1 debug=0
There may be other entries for other modules...Leave those as they are

Your card is all set to work but you need a name and IP now.

If you are on a network and already have an assigned
number talk to whoever and get the number and name for your computer.
If you are home networking and making numbers yourself do this:

My computer name is speckles and I made up a domain of myhomelocal.com
It's a private network...I can do that :)
The point is you need a name and IP but this is how mine is setup:

type:
linuxconf
Choose Networking | Client tasks | Basic Host information

Host name: speckles
Adaptor 1: Enabled
Manual
primary name+domain: speckles.myhomelocal.com
Aliases: speckles
IP: 192.168.1.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
netdevice: eth0
Kernel module: tulip.o

reboot and your card should be working.
Type ifconfig and if you see eth0 and lo you are all set to start networking.