[tulip] strange media type problem

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 01:06:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Christian Hoefer wrote:

> I try to migrate from SuSE to Debian and can't get the
> Lite-On NIC run. I had no problems with the old distribution.
> I think the wrong media type is selected but I have no idea
> why.

Please report the driver detection message.
You shouldn't need to specify the media type for typical configurations.

> I use 0.91g-ppc in both cases.

Note that 91g-ppc is an old version that has been heavily modified.

> the old tulip-diag output is:
>
> tulip-diag.c:v2.08 5/15/2001 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
> Index #1: Found a Lite-On 82c168 PNIC adapter at 0xdc00.
>  Port selection is MII, half-duplex.

PNIC-I with a MII transceiver.

> now it is:
> Index #1: Found a Lite-On 82c168 PNIC adapter at 0xdc00.
>  Port selection is 10mpbs-serial, half-duplex.

Bad... the driver left it in the wrong mode.  A PNIC-I card with a MII
transceiver should always be configured to MII mode.

> has no effect. I can't even get a arp packet trough.

11 is for MII, but you shouldn't need to set it.

> Does anybody has me a hint please.

Try the updated driver
   http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html