[tulip] Conexant LANfinity no longer works with tulip driver?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon Nov 26 13:47:01 2001

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Marinho Barcellos wrote:

> based on the following tulip Changelog entry:
>
> 2001-05-12  Jeff Garzik  <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com>
>         * tulip_core.c, tulip.h: Remove Conexant PCI id, no chip
>         docs are available to fix problems with support.
>
> Sorry english is not my first language, and so I'd like to
> confirm with the folks in this list that
> the tulip driver, as from May 2001, does not work with
> Conexant LANfinity NICs anymore.

The divergent Tulip driver distributed with the 2.4 kernels never really
supported the Conexant chip.  There was a release where it did recognize
the chip, and attempted support based on my code, but it never really
worked.

The comment above is accurate: Conexant really doesn't this chip to work
under Linux.  I've gone to great effort to get information from Compaq
and Conexant, with no results.

> I have a Notebook Presario 1700XL476, with such board,
> and GNU/Linux Mandrake 8.1 updated to kernel 2.4.14.
> I have tried eveything possible to get this tulip driver to work.

Well, the Conexant chip works with the Scyld distribution, with the
errata previously noted on this list.  I usually give my presentations
from a Presario 1700xl365, including using using the on-board Ethernet .

It does work -- you obviously haven't tried everything possible...