[tulip] Adaptec ANA-6944A/TX

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed Nov 7 12:10:03 2001

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Ron Reed wrote:

> 03:04.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21140
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
> 03:05.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21140
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 9
> 03:06.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21140
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 5
> 03:07.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21140
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 10

Note that the original IRQ mapping puts the chip on different IRQs.
Usually assuming that all of the interfaces are actually on the IRQ of
the first interface, IRQ11, is correct.

In this case it may not be, although that would be surprising.

A way to test this is to open only the interface originally assigned
IRQ11.  If that works, and an opening any other interface locks the
machine, we have a useful clue.

> As for the parse errors, I get the following:
>
> /usr/src/linux/include/asm/spinlock.h:31: conflicting types for `spinlock_t'
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/spinlock.h:55: previous declaration of
> `spinlock_t'

Try the following change

Replace  line 149
#include <linux/malloc.h>

with

#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= 0x20300
#include <linux/slab.h>
#include <linux/spinlock.h>
#elif LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= 0x20200
#include <linux/malloc.h>
#include <asm/spinlock.h>
#endif

> I do this command:
>
> gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -include
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -O -c tulip.c
>
> And it compiles, but when I try to insmod it, I get this:
>
> tulip.o: unresolved symbol pci_drv_unregister
> tulip.o: unresolved symbol pci_drv_register

You must insert pci-scan.o first, or use 'modprobe tulip' to
automatically preload the dependencies.