[tulip] Adaptec ANA-6944A/TX

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue Nov 6 17:53:01 2001

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Ben Greear wrote:
> Donald Becker wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Ron Reed wrote:
> >
> >>Has anyone gotten the ANA-6944A/TX multiport ethernet card to work with
> >>RedHat 7.1? The kernel is 2.4.3-6.
> >>
> >>If I try to do anything with the card, it locks the system up tight. The
> >>system is a Gigabyte 6OX motherboard with the latest BIOS (F4) and a P-III
> >>1gHz CPU. Any clues or pointers on this problem?
> >
> > This is very likely an IRQ mapping problem, not a problem with the
> > driver itself.
>
> I had this same problem on an Adaptec 4-port NIC...
>
> Which part of code/hardware is responsible for the IRQ mapping?

Two answers:

With 2.2 and before, on x86 only, the driver itself hacks the IRQ
mapping to work around the common BIOS IRQ mapping bug where PCI chips
behind a bus bridge are assigned different IRQs, but the 4 port card is
interrupting only on INTA, a single IRQ line.

With 2.4 the PCI subsystem controls the IRQ mapping, and fixes up this
common x86 bug.  You can tell that this case has the fix-up implemented
because IRQ is the same on all interfaces.  The question is if IRQ11 is
the correct IRQ line...