[tulip] HomePNA 2.0 drivers available!

Sage sage@gypsycaravan.org
Tue Nov 6 11:03:01 2001

Forgive me if this is not the right place to post this, but I've noticed
while reading archives of this list online that some people have been
requesting drivers for the newest HomePNA network card drivers.  The older
cards which operate at 1 Mbps are supported, but drivers for version 2.0 of
HomePNA, featuring the Broadcom 4210 chip and operating at 10 Mbps, have
been unavailable until now.

Someone posted the following link to another mailing list:
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/beta/linux_full_binary_2_33.exe

That link will get you binary only drivers.  For some reason they're
packaged in a Windows executable.  However, more importantly, I found
something else - I poked my nose onto that FTP server and found the
following:

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/beta/linux_hpna2_0_v2_34_0_2.exe

THAT file is far more important, because it contains at least partial source
code for the driver, not to mention a slightly newer version.

Since it's chipset-oriented, I expect it should work on ALL HomePNA cards,
such as the Diamond HomeFree and NetGear cards, not just the LinkSys.

I haven't tested these yet, but I will in the next couple of days.  I know
nothing about driver hacking - I'm posting this here because I've seen
people asking here for drivers and because I want the word to get out.
Frustrating when you can't find linux drivers for something, y'know?

Sage