[tulip] lne100tx v2 + befsr41 hub + linux tulip driver 0.9.15-pre6 problems

Joe Miller joemiller1212@hotmail.com
Thu Nov 1 14:20:00 2001

Hello,

I've got an Athlon box with a LinkSys lne100tx v2 card (see tulip-diag
output below), going through a LinkSys 4-port NAT router.
I can make connections to the outside world, ping, UDP, TCP, etc.  but after
a short amount of time, the packets get dropped at what seems from my
investigation - at the router.  My investigation is: I make a TCP connection
(say, ssh into an outside box).  I can use this for anywhere up to a minute
or so with low packet transmission (keyboard input).  If I try to transmit
files (ftp, etc...), it starts dropping much quickly - after a second or
two.
Other connections also seem to be affected when this is going on - i.e. the
connection stalls - I switch to another vconsole and execute a ping to a
well-known source (cisco.com) and it won't respond at all (no output from
ping).
I kill ssh and ping, wait a few minutes, and things seem to recover, only to
have the cycle repeat if another TCP connection is initiated.

I am suspecting it has something to do with burst sizes, but I am not a
low-level networking guru, so I don't know too much on *that* low of a
level, and could be way off base.

Anyone have any insight into this?

tulip-diag.c:v2.08 5/15/2001 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a Lite-On PNIC-II adapter at 0xd400.
Port selection is N-Way autonegotiation, full-duplex.
Transmit started, Receive started, full-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit threshold is 128.
  The NWay status register is 000000cc.
The current PNIC-II MAC address is 00:a0:cc:35:bb:6b (a000a000 35cc6bbb).
The current PNIC-II WOL address is 00:a0:cc:35:bb:6b.
  Internal autonegotiation state is 'Autonegotiation disabled'.
Use '-a' or '-aa' to show device registers,
     '-e' to show EEPROM contents, -ee for parsed contents,
  or '-m' or '-mm' to show MII management registers.