[tulip] DC21143 rev 65 - hopeless case?

John Sutton john@scl.co.uk
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 16:31:46 +0000

On Tue, 06 Mar 2001, you wrote:
> I have a Kingston KNE100TX. Seems to be rev 65 (the kernel reports it
> as 21142, on the chip it says 21143):
>
>   $ cat /proc/pci
>   Bus  0, device  11, function  0:
>     Ethernet controller: DEC DC21142 (rev 65).
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 5.  Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=20.Max Lat=40.
>       I/O at 0xc400 [0xc401].
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xeffff800 [0xeffff800].
>
> And using stock 2.2.18 tulip driver:
>   Mar  6 09:56:37 opal kernel: tulip.c:v0.91g-ppc 7/16/99 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
>   Mar  6 09:56:37 opal kernel: eth0: Digital DS21143 Tulip rev 65 at 0xc400, 00:C0:F0:4D:90:96, IRQ 5.
>   Mar  6 09:56:37 opal kernel: eth0:  EEPROM default media type Autosense.
>   Mar  6 09:56:37 opal kernel: eth0:  Index #0 - Media MII (#11) described by a 21142 MII PHY (3) block.
>   Mar  6 09:56:37 opal kernel: eth0:  MII transceiver #1 config 3000 status 7829 advertising 01e1.
>
> >From what I see you don't have receive buffers and there is some
> problem with irq. Check that you don't have an irq-conflict.

Thanks for that Karl but I can't believe it's true!  The system works fine
most of the time, and there's nothing going on (such as intermittent use of a
printer, mouse, etc) which could lead to an "intermittent" interrupt conflict.

But Donald's come back with something which I'm definitely going to pursue!

Regards
John