[tulip] Kingston KNE111TX Full Duplex LED

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 14:46:31 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, John Connett wrote:

> I have tried using a Kingston KNE111TX with the following driver
> versions:
> and it appears that the Full-Duplex LED on these NICs does not
> indicate Full-Duplex operation.  Instead it appears to flash in time
> with the Activity LED but with a slight delay.

This LED must be connected to the LED3SEL pin.

By default this is the Rx LED.
It may be programmed as the Full/Half duplex LED by setting CSR9 bit 31.

> I contacted Kingston and this was included in their reply:
>
> > We've been able to locate the cause of this issue. The problem is with the
> > driver. It's misinterpreting the FDX LED as the Activity  LED, that's why
> > they blink  synchronously. As far as performance is concerned, there's no
> > negative effect on the performance of the NIC.

That's mis-stated a little.  There is no misinterpretation.  The default
setting is '0', and the driver writes the bits as '0'.

The best way to handle this would have been to define an EEPROM word
that holds the four LED configuration bits.  This may even exist, but
the datasheet doesn't document any special words in the EEPROM layout.

> Does anyone have a patch that they are willing to share?  Perhaps for
> another PNIC-II based NIC?

There isn't a general patch that will work for all boards, but please
try adding the following two lines around line 780

	/* BugFixes: The 21143-TD hangs with PCI Write-and-Invalidate cycles.
	   And the ASIX must have a burst limit or horrible things happen. */
	if (chip_idx == DC21143  &&  chip_rev == 65)
		tp->csr0 &= ~0x01000000;
	else if (tp->flags & IS_ASIX)
		tp->csr0 |= 0x2000;
+	else if (chip_idx == PNIC2)
+		outl(0xf0000000, ioaddr + CSR9);

If this setting isn't somewhere in the EEPROM I'll have to add a new
subsystem ID specific flag for this board.