[tulip] Conexant LANfinity is NOT working in 2.4!

Marco Mellia mellia@prezzemolo.polito.it
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 18:41:21 +0200

On Wednesday 25 July 2001 18:03, you wrote:

Here is my 2c add...
I finally managed to compile a tulip.o version under my (pretty-standard)
Mandrake 8.0. The module compiles right, and the hardware is recognized...
and it seems to correctly work. But after a given time, the network adapter
starts dropping _lots_ of packets.... making it impossible to use the network
(I was testing it between a direct connected cable, using both ftp and
telnet).
At the same time, I got a lot of "Warning kfree_skb" messages on the kernel
log (dmesg...), but (luckly) I didn't get any file corruption...
Since then, I stopped using the ethernet... and I'll be waiting until a new
release is out (thanks Alan, you are doing a great job, as usual!)

> [...]
> > 2.4.3 kernel (Mandrake 8.0), on mai 1700 presario
> > notebook, but I still get
> > this errors:
> >
> > [root@scirocco modules]# gcc -DMODULE -Wall
> > -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c
> > tulip.c
> > tulip.c: In function `tulip_open':
> > tulip.c:1496: structure has no member named `tbusy'
> > tulip.c: In function `tulip_start_xmit':
> > tulip.c:2633: structure has no member named `tbusy'
> > tulip.c:2667: structure has no member named `tbusy'
> > tulip.c: In function `tulip_interrupt':
> > tulip.c:2758: structure has no member named `tbusy'
> > tulip.c:2758: `NET_BH' undeclared (first use in this
> > function)
> > tulip.c:2758: (Each undeclared identifier is
> > reported only once
> > tulip.c:2758: for each function it appears in.)
> > tulip.c: In function `tulip_close':
> > tulip.c:2987: structure has no member named `tbusy'
> > tulip.c: In function `tulip_get_stats':
> > tulip.c:3026: structure has no member named `start'
> > tulip.c: In function `set_rx_mode':
> > tulip.c:3298: structure has no member named `tbusy'
> >
> > Have you any idea of what's going wrong?
> > Which .h file I am missing? :-?
> >
> > Renato
> >
> >  Kent Hunt scriveva il 24/07/2001 a proposito di
> > Re: [tulip] Conexant
> > LANfinity is working in 2.2 and 2.4!
> >
> > >Donald,

> > -I/usr/src/linux/include

> > >Surprise, surprise. I dropped -DMODVERSIONS and it
> > >still works. I went down to
> > >
> > >CC = gcc
> > >OPTIONSCOMMON = -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -Wall
> > >-Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -I/usr/src/linux/include
> > >-include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h
> > >OPTIONSTULIP = $(OPTIONSCOMMON)
> > >OPTIONSPCISN = $(OPTIONSCOMMON)
> > >all:
> > >        $(CC) $(OPTIONSTULIP) -c tulip.c
> > >        $(CC) $(OPTIONSPCISN) -c pci-scan.c
> > >clean:
> > >        rm -f *~ pci-scan.o tulip.o
> > >
> > >with a still working prototype. Interestingly, the
> > >missing symbol errors appear when I drop the last
> > >option in OPTIONSCOMMON. It seems that 2.4 likes
> > >modversion.h be processed before anything.

> > it

> > >Again, -DMODVERSIONS can be dropped. We have to
> >
> > figure
> >
> > >out if we can drop -include <linux/modversions.h>.
> > >Note that this shows up when I compile my kernel so
> > >maybe it has to be there for some reason.
> > >
> > >There are however other problems with 2.4 kernels.
> > >mii-diag simply gives:
> > >Using the default interface 'eth0'.
> > >SIOCGMIIPHY on eth0 failed: Operation not supported
> > >This did not happen with 2.2. I did not pass any
> > >options for loading pci-scan.o and tulip.o in
> >
> > neither
> >
> > >of the kernel versions.
> > >
> > >The other problem is that I get in my syslog lots
> >
> > of
> >
> > >kernel: Warning: kfree_skb on hard IRQ d0874b14
> > >
> > >Kent

> > >Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute

Ciao,                    /\/\/\rco

| Marco Mellia - Assistant Professor|
| Tel: 39-011-5644173               |   /"\  .. . . . . . . . . . . . .
| Politecnico di Torino             |   \ /  . ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .
| Corso Duca degli Abruzzi 24       |    X   .- NO HTML/RTF in e-mail .
| Torino - 10129 - Italy            |   / \  .- NO Word docs in e-mail.
| http://www1.tlc.polito.it/mellia  |        .. . . . . . . . . . . . .
The box said "Requires Windows 95 or Better." So I installed Linux.