[tulip] netgear 310tx

Hank Barta hbarta@enteract.com
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 08:14:10 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, C. R. Oldham wrote:

> Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 12:48:26 -0700
> From: C. R. Oldham <cro@nca.asu.edu>
> To: tulip@scyld.com
> Subject: Re: [tulip] netgear 310tx
>
> Hank Barta wrote:
>
> >     I am surprised to hear that because I asm using an old laptop
> >     for my firewall (cable modem) and it seems to have no trouble
> >     keeping up.
>
> [...]
>
> >         a 10/100 cable modem, so it runs at 100 Mb/s)
>
> Yes, but the cablemodem isn't actually doing more than about .5 Mb/sec.
> Doesn't matter if your net is 10 Mb or 100 Mb, it's the actual traffic that
> will make the difference.

At 450 KB/sec, it is about 4.5 Mb/sec I understand what you mean about
Ethernet capacity vs cable modem capacity, but at ~5 Mb/sec, I'm not that
far away from saturating the 10BaseT ethernet segment. Or is there
something I am misunderstanding? (Or should I stop trying to do math in my
head? ;)

> Watch top like you've been doing.  Also check your interface statistics for
> dropped/corrupt packets.

    OK, I'll check for that.

> It's possible.  Is the firewall doing anything else?

    No, nothing.

--
Hank Barta                            White Oak Software Inc.
hbarta@enteract.com                   Predictable Systems by Design.(tm)