[tulip] netgear 310tx

Jason Zwolak jzwolak@vt.edu
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:14:22 -0500

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 03:58:33PM -0500, Allan McIntosh wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I am using  a Cyrix MediaGXtm MMXtm Enhanced 233MHz machine as a router
> and it appears that the machine can not handle 100Mbits of
> throughput (The machine comes to a stand still when testing). There is 1
> netgear 310tx and an rtl8139. I am trying to set the netgear to 10baseT
> with options=10 inorder to limit throughput. However when I bring up the
> interface I can not ping anything. tulip-diag says all is well as does
> mii-diag.
>
> I saw threads in the archives of poeple attemping to force the 310tx's to
> 100 has anyone successfully locked one of these cards to 10baseT-FD?

I have not locked mine to 10baseT-FD, but I did lock it to 10baseT-HD.

I had problems with bumping mine down to 10baseT-HD.  Turns out there were two
problems:

	- The network cable and card did not have a strong connection to each
	  other.
	- I had a somewhat old version of the driver, which apparently was
	  causing some problems, but I'm not sure.

So I am currently using linux kernel 2.4 and the latest mii-diag and tulip-diag
from the web.  I am using the tulip driver that came with 2.4.

After the tulip module is loaded I execute a command like:

	mii-diag -F 10baseT-HD

This works for me.
--
Jason Zwolak