[tulip] Problems compiling the tulip driver

Karl Sackett krs@linux-support.net
Mon, 08 Jan 2001 14:37:56 -0600

Donald Becker wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Karl Sackett wrote:
>
> > miranda$ make tulip
> > gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6
> > -I/usr/src/linux/include -pipe -fno-strength-reduce -DMODVERSIONS   -c
> > -o tulip.o tulip.c
> > tulip.c:139: linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory
>
> This just can't happen.  You are have a hallucination.  Perhaps it's a mass
> hallucination, but whatever is going on, it's all just in your imagination.

[snip]

> And that is the reason you will _never_ see
> > tulip.c:139: linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory
>
> Got it?  Now take two of the pink pills, and those voice in your head will
> go away...

I did find a fix.  It's not enough that you download and unpack the
kernel
source.  You actually have to build a kernel.  Really.  That's how
modversions.h gets generated.  Imagine that.

So now I've hit THIS wall:

miranda:/usr/src/modules# insmod pci-scan.o
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol pci_write_config_byte
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol pci_find_class
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol pci_read_config_byte
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol pci_read_config_dword
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol __ioremap
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol pci_read_config_word
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol pci_set_master
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol pci_write_config_dword
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol pci_write_config_word
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol check_region
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol printk
miranda:/usr/src/modules# grep pci_write_config_byte /proc/ksyms
801b1804 pci_write_config_byte_R2gig_e84d5397

Still no joy.  Any suggestions?

--
Karl Sackett                                       krs@linux-support.net
Linux Support Services, Inc.