[tulip] Tulip chips

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu Dec 20 00:13:00 2001

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Stephen S M Wong wrote:

> 1) What is the latest tulip chip? (21143?)

Several of the Tulip clones, with a new release every few months.

> 2) Is Intel now the owner of the tulip chip?  Do you know if there is
> any new development on the tulip series (say a GE chip)?

Intel actually announced they were EOLing the chip last year, but were
compelled to extend its life.

> 3) Are there any multiport (2 to 4) tulip cards available in the
> market?  What will be your next recommendation other than tulip chip
> (for multiport 100TX card)?

I haven't been paying attention lately.  Check D-Link and Znyx

> 4) I find some surplus original Digital Equipment Corporation 21143
> cards in local market, the price is very cheap (US$18), is it a good
> alternative to say 3Com 3c905C, or Intel 82559?

The Tulip is still better for multicast filtering.  The 905C has the
best IP checksum support.