[tulip] LNE100TX rev. 5.0

Jacob Schroeder j-schroeder@myrealbox.com
Fri Dec 14 17:34:01 2001

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 17:11:29 -0500 (EST)
Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Jacob Schroeder wrote:
>
> > Here's the full detection message as seen in "/var/log/messages".
> > Dec 12 10:11:34 jacob kernel: tulip.c:v0.91g-ppc 7/16/99 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa
> > .gov
> > Dec 12 10:11:34 jacob kernel: eth0: ADMtek Centaur-P rev 17 at 0xdc00, 00:04:5A:
> > 52:C7:36, IRQ 11.
> >

> > The hub is a repeater (a somewhat old 10Mbps Linksys with 8 RJ-45
> > ports and 1 BNC). ifconfig for this NIC currently shows 382,699 RX
> > packets, 993,522 TX packets and 232,851 collisions with 0 receive or
> > transmit errors.
>
> These might be reasonable numbers for a busy network on a 10Mbps
> repeater.  Just check /proc/net/dev (not 'ifconfig' or 'netstat -i') to
> verify that you don't have errors.
>
> > I'll try 0.93 as soon as I can get everything compiled right. 0.91 is
> > the newest tulip ver. Debian potato has right now (2.2.19 kernel).
>
>  http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
>    ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/tulip.c
>
> Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
> Scyld Computing Corporation		http://www.scyld.com
> 410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Second Generation Beowulf Clusters
> Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993

/proc/net/dev reports no errors for eth0.

With 5 computers hooked up to the network but none talking, I can get a little over 150 collisions just doing 10 pings to another Linux machine. So that's why I was a little concerned, but from what I'm hearing I guess that's not too abnormal.

I'm not sure I'll be able to upgrade to the 0.93 driver for a while, I don't want to bother this list with my trivial problems of not being able to successfully compile them. I've done the kernel on numerous occasions, and read all the documentation for tulip, but I'm still not successful.

Thanks for all you guys do for the open source community. I wish there were something more I could do to contribute back to the community but I guess I need to learn more programming first (or get a job so I can make a $ donation :-)

Thanks again,
Jacob