[tulip] Tulip and ANA6911A/TX

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu Dec 6 12:30:04 2001

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, tsombakos, mark wrote:

> I'm having problems with the tulip driver included in
> RedHat 7.2.  My first issue is, I can't tell what version
> is the "latest" tulip driver.  0.92-pre3(?) was 7.2's,
> we bumped up to 0.92-pre6 (dated Nov 3) with a new kernel.
> But on Sourceforge, it's up to 1.1.8, dated June 16, 2001...

The most recent version from the original source tree is v0.93.
Incremental releases have a version such as "0.93a"

 http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
    ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/tulip.c

The version in the kernel is a split from my releases, and has three
dotted numbers as the version string.

> The problem I'm seeing - when I power cycle my pc and
> Linux loads, I don't get a link light.  If I stop networking,
> rmmod the tulip driver, modprobe tulip, and restart networking,
> it's fine.  In fact, after I power cycle, the driver says it
> can't find an MII transceiver.  After I reload the driver,
> it finds it fine.

You have a 21143 with MII transceiver.
The driver version you are using does not correctly reset the
transceiver.

>   The Tx process state is 'Waiting for Tx to finish'.

Yup, the transmit path isn't configured correctly.

>    21143 MII reset sequence is 3 words: 0821 0001 0000.

Many boards do not have a reset sequence, and wouldn't experience this
problem.