[tulip] Problem with SMC 9332BDT...

gemorga2 gemorga2@vt.edu
Fri, 03 Aug 2001 06:21:07 -0400

I picked up the tulip-0.92wax.tar.gz driver package yesterday and tried to use
it with my SMC dual port 10/100 ethernet card (DEC PCI-PCI bridge with two DEC
21140 MAC chips)  How do I install Becker's tulip driver in place of the
normal Linux one?  (Linux kernel 2.4.3)  I assume from what I've read I do
this:

1) Build Linux kernel without DEC generic or Linux tulip driver.
2) Reboot
3) Build Becker's Tulip Driver.
4) insmod pci-scan.o
5) insmod tulip.o
6) done?

I tried doing most of this yesterday, but when I insmod'd the tulip driver it
dumped all kinds of crap and got stuck in Initializing (according to lsmod).
I think I still had another driver that was trying to attach to the SMC card
that was screwing up the tulip module.  Does this make sense?