[tulip] Success!!! sorta...

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:17:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Liam McCusker wrote:

> Anyhow, I finally managed to get Linux to detect my NC100 cards(2 of them).

What is the detection message?

> scyld.com(actually was the NASA link).  But regardless, I found an
> istallation procedure for RH5.x and decided to try it.  Sure enough, both
> cards found!

What driver version?

> What I can tell you:  I'm trying to set up a small home network - one Win98
> computer and a RH7 computer (gateway to internet).  I have a tutorial from
> http://www.coastnet.com/~pramsey/linux/homenet.html, but I can't seem to
> figure out which card is eth0 and which is eth1.

They are detected in PCI order.
The slot nearest the CPU is usually the lowest PCI device number.

Or use 'mii-diag -w eth1' to monitor the link status as you unplug the
network cable.
  http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html

> Also, I tried to run some of the diagnostic tools, but as new as I am to
> Linux I couldn't seem to actually run them.  I kept getting "command not
> recognized" or found(or something like that) errors.  Compile went smooth,
> but I keep feeling like I missed something before trying to run them.  I ran
> the command for compile stated at the bottom of each file.

If it's in the current directory you might need to do
  ./mii-diag -w eth1