[tulip] Installation - Linksys Ethercard, round 2

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:45:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Matthew O. Persico wrote:

> DSL Router, also serving as the DHCP server and the firewall (it's a
> Zyxel Prestige 641, in case anyone is interested) at address 192.168.1.1
>
> LinkSys PrintServer/4port Hub at 192.168.1.2

Is this a repeater, a dual speed repeater, or a switch?

> Mandrake 7.2 box at 192.168.1.3 using a LinkSys LNE 10/100 ethercard

Which card?
What is the detection message?

> The Mandrake box can ping everyone EXCEPT the DSL Router. Pinging
> 192.168.1.1 hangs. Which would explain why DCHP doesn't fly. :-(
>
> I think the problem is that the NT connection is 10MB/half duplex
> whereas the Mandrake connection lights up the 100MB and full duplex
> lights on the Hub.

If there is a full duplex light on the hub, that likely means that it's
a switch.

> Seems to me I need to get the card into 10MB, half duplex mode before I
> have a prayer of fixing anything else.

I suspect that this isn't your problem.