[tulip] Recommendations for compiling tulip.c on Solaris?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 21:46:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, qcentury wrote:

> Do you have any caveats or recommendations regarding
> compiling tulip.c for use under Solaris?
>
> Will it work?  The dnet driver native to Solaris
> certainly didn't.  I'm using LNE100TX cards in a few
> of my machines.

The Linux tulip driver will not work with Solaris.
Solaris is licensed under a proprietary license that is not compatible
with the GPL, so it's license violation to distribute Linux drivers
ported to Solaris without an explicit additional license from the author.

> Thank you for taking the time to do the work you've
> done.  Neither Linksys nor Sun seems to have taken the
> time to do as much.

Hmmm, that should tell you something about Sun's commitment to Solaris.
(BTW, complaining here that we aren't doing enough to support Solaris
won't get you very far.)