[tulip] Linksys LNE100TX v4.1 no multicast with tulip 0.92l

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 13:12:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, W Christopher Martin wrote:

> Running RedHat 6.2 with kernel 2.2.18pre9 and tulip 0.92l,
> a LinkSys LNE100TX v4.1 works with normal unicast traffic,
> but does not receive multicast OSPF traffic unless it is put
> in promiscous mode.  An older tulip-based card (NetGear or
> D-Link) in the same machine works fine.

Doh!

I think that this explains the problem with our Cluster Multimedia
Server.  We are distributing real-time content from the front-end controller
to the server nodes with multicast, while pre-recorded content is unicast.
On clusters with the Comet/Centaur...

Anyway, I'll check our the multicast filter in the next few minutes.

> Another odd thing is that it says the card is in half-duplex
> near the top of the diag output, but in full-duplex near the bottom.

Fixed a few weeks ago...

> Any assistance in getting multicast to work without PROMISC
> would be appreciated.

Temporary work-around
    ifconfig eth0 allmulti

410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Beowulf-II Cluster Distribution
Annapolis MD 21403