[tulip] PCI bus fatal errors with Linksys LNE100tx

Mario Simoni mario@ece.gatech.edu
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 12:13:10 -0400

Thanks for your help Donald. I have some answers to your questions...

> > I am new to Linux but have read a lot on the tulip driver. I have
> > downloaded and successfully installed the .rpm file, but I have to force
> > the driver to install using
> >
> > insmod pci-scan
> > insmod tulip
>
> Does 'modprobe tulip' work?
> If so, you should configure your driver and interface using the tools
> provided in your distribution.
> If not, please report it.

'modprobe tulip' does not work even if I do 'modprobe pci-scan' first. I have
run 'depmod -a' and the modules.dep file DOES reflect the dependency of tulip.o
on pci-scan.o. So I don't understand why modprobe doesn't work. That's why I
was using 'insmod'.

> > When I then type ifconfig eth0 I get:
> >
> > eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:20:78:1E:53:F4
> >           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
> >           RX packets:144 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> >           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> >           collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
> >           Interrupt:11 Base address:0x3c00
>
> This looks fine, although you have not assigned an IP address.

I have to use dhcp with our LAN. I have compiled and installed the latest
version of dhcp client deamon for Linux 'dhcpcd-1.3.19-pl1'. So with dhcp
running I was told not to assign an IP address.

> > I don't understand why the io_address for eth0 in /proc/pci (0xfc00) is
> > different from ifconfig (0x3c00). Does the error mean a hardware problem
> > with my network card or PCI bus? or Is there a problem with my kernel
>
> ... are you trying to force the I/O address?  If so, that would explain the
> driver not loading correct and the IFMAP errors.

Actually I tried to specify the irq and the io_addr parameters given in the
/proc/pci file using:

ifconfig eth0 irq 11 io_addr 0xfc00

but I get the IFMAP errors like I did using 'ifup eth0':

SIOCSIFMAP: Operation not supported
SIOCSIFMAP: Operation not supported

I'll try the tulip-diag program and let you know what happens.

Thanks again for your help

Mario