[tulip] - Newbie - Problems with installing the tulip.o modul

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 15:06:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, David Kramer wrote:

> I ran the ifup eth0 first and it returned usage: ifup <device name> not sure
> why it didnt recognize it.

Because you haven't configured your networking yet.

>  After I ran the other command ifconfig eth0
> 192.168.1.1 and then ifconfig it found the eth0.  Does the ifconfig eth0....
> assign a specific IP address to the eth0 interface?

Yes.  That was just in case the 'ifup' command failed

> And why use 192.168.1.1?

That's one of the private network addresses.
If you have a private internal network you should use 192.168.1.*

> I dont really understand that command?  Also will I need to reassign the
> eth0 everytime after a reboot or will it be done automatically?

It will all be done automatically once you configure you IP addresses in
whatever tool your distribution provides.

410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Beowulf-II Cluster Distribution
Annapolis MD 21403